Custom Validation Text
Custom Validation Text allows you to customize the error message that is displayed to the participant when they do not enter a valid response, such as correct format or minimum number of characters/numbers based on the form item restrictions you applied.
The Advanced settings allows the you to select a Field Type from the pre-defined options. The format for each of these options are validated when the participant enters data and the Custom Validation Text will be displayed if the participant fails to enter a valid response. Optionally, you can enter a minimum and maximum number to restrict characters entered in the response field. If the participant fails to enter the minimum number of characters, the Custom Validation Text will be displayed.
Note: If the Tooltip is configured and no Custom Validation Text is defined, the Tooltip text will be displayed as the error message when an invalid response is entered. When both Custom Validation Text and Tooltips are defined, the Custom Validation Text will be displayed as the error message and the Tooltip will only be displayed via the informational icon, the ‘i’.
See Tooltips for further information
- Example – Below is what will be displayed if no Tooltip is defined:
- Example – Below is what will be displayed if a Tooltip of “You Must enter 4 characters for Class Year’ is defined:
See Form Items for details on how to configure the Form Item restrictions such as field type, minimum and maximum character, etc.
Add Custom Validation Text
Custom Validation Text can be added to any form item that allows a response from a participant.
- Click on the Form Item for which you want to add the Custom Validation Text, as seen
circled in yellow below.
- Once under the Edit Item tab, click on the Advanced Button to configure the Customer Validation Text, as seen circled in green below.
3. Custom Validation Text – Enter the text you want displayed related to that Form Item.